Friday, April 27, 2007

Sitting in section subzero

On Friday the 13th (!!!*), I went with a friend and his harem of women to see the Astros of Houston play the Phillies of Philly. The temperature was about 10 degrees out, with a sharp wind that easily brought the temperature to -60 degrees. I saw a man trip and shatter.

To stay warm, I kept leaving my seat to go get dollar hot dogs and, towards the end, hot chocolate. There's really no better meal than a dollar hot dog, which I can still taste even now. Later we went out for drinks, and the girls ordered food, and when one of them asked me if I was going to order, I told her, "No, I had five hot dogs at the game." The look of disgust, shock and discomfort that merged on her face is one I will remember and cherish for a long time.

The low point of the game, besides the weather, was discovering that Pat Burrell changed his intro music from Dio's "Holy Diver" to Don Henley's "Dirty Laundry." To me, he'll always be Holy Diver, out too long in the midnight sea. Oh, what's becoming of me? Ride the tiger. You can feel his stripes, but you know he's clean; Oh, don't you see what I mean?

The high point was when the Phillies asked fans to stop throwing stuff onto the field by putting a display on the Jumbotron, and the fans, which were comprised of drunk 21 year olds there for "College Night," promptly responded by raining down a shower of hot dogs. It was very reminiscent of Marge's "Whitey Whackers."

Here are some pictures.




*!!!

Update 4/28: I was wearing my Rangers jacket at the game, and as I was walking along the concourse I heard "RANGERS." I took a few steps before it sank in, then I stopped to look behind me. A guy in a worn Mets cap came over and gave me an enthusiastic high five, then said some stuff about the Rangers. I told him they were going to sweep Atlanta, which actually turned out to be true (at that point they had only won a single game). In any event, that's one of those random things that happens that makes sports enjoyable.

3 comments:

psychodevil said...

"The look of disgust, shock and discomfort that merged on her face is one I will remember and cherish for a long time."

Are you sure you did not say penises?
We tend to 'subconsiously' use that word a lot.

ChrisV82 said...

Maybe she thought I said penises because she wanted my 100% all beef weiner.

Probably not, though.

Walter said...

"This is a black day for baseball."