Monday, July 16, 2007

The Mathematics of Tears for Fears

As readers and friends know, I'm a big metal fan. I'm also, generally speaking, a fan of any kind of dark music. If it's brooding, if it's moody, and if the music is good, chances are I'll like it.

Synth pop and synth rock, I've come to find, have a great ability to have melancholy and black atmospheres. Sadly, from what I've heard, most bands don't approach that area, instead focusing on upbeat pop. That's why I have to give majors kudos to Tears for Fears, who released an entire album of bleak songs in their debut, 1983's The Hurting. Perhaps the most well known track is "Mad World" -
All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere



(Not sure what the hell is going on two and a half minutes into this)

The group had other songs, too (duh), including "Change"...



(Again with the weird dancing)

..."Memories Fade"...



(Even in concert, there's the crazy arm movements)

...and "Watch Me Bleed."



(This is an early show, so they hadn't quite mastered the spastic dancing yet)

I'm always looking for good synth music, and I know some of you know more about that music than I do, so hook me up.

10 comments:

Jai said...

It is with some trepidation, assuming I understand that word, that I recommend S.P.O.C.K to you. I haven't listened to them in roughly a decade, and their material is fairly silly (It's rather dark-toned, but it's based on, essentially, nerdy nerd stuff), but I think it matches something you wouldn't mind finding? I don't even know HOW you would find it, but give it a whirl.

http://pages.interlog.com/~costan/SPOCKindex.html

ChrisV82 said...

I found them on Wikipedia, but now I just have to find their music. I wish Google recognized punctuation so I stop finding stuff about Star Trek.

WindFish said...

I'm a big Moody Blues fan. They're more of the prog rock of melancholy (is that redundant) than metal, but their music helps me deal when I'm feeling really crappy.

ChrisV82 said...

Did I ever tell you I saw them in concert in 1996? Well, I just did.

By the way, I've never been able to figure out how to leave comments on your blog.

WindFish said...

Cool, I think I saw them that year too, with an orchestra.

Tumblr doesn't support comments yet, so for now my tumblelog is just a stream of consciousness of links and postings.

ChrisV82 said...

I didn't see them with an orchestra. They did, however, take a break midway through the show.

Jai said...

If you can help it, the songs I'm thinking of from SPOCK (intersperse your own periods there) would be stuff like The Last Man On Earth, All E.T.s Aren't Nice, Stormtrooper, Never Trust a Klingon... I still haven't listened to their new (Uh, '97 to '99) stuff that is actually on iTunes.

rob said...

Wolf Eyes. Or check out Hungbunny's podcasts (I think he's still doing them)

ChrisV82 said...

Rob - Thanks for the tip. It seems like Wolf Eyes has released a ton of independent stuff, so it should either be very easy or very hard to find.

Jai - Alright, I'll see what I can find. Do you still own this stuff or are you just going by memory?

Jai said...

I lost that stuff three hard drives ago, unfortunately. Which was a long time ago, and I stopped sailing with the music pirates around the time that hard drive was keelhauled. And that was also how I found that music in the first place, so there's something to be said for piracy.