Friday, July 27, 2007

Why do Jews fall in love?

The very entertaining baseball blog FJM recently linked to an article about Gary Sheffield's criticism of Joe Torre, written by fiction author Jerome Preisler. You can tell Preisler is a writer of novels and not articles because it takes him about three days to get to Torre and Sheffield. I also disagree with some of his sentiments (I do not think Torre liked Bernie Williams, as I have previously discussed), and it's quite clear that Torre plays favorites, which is what Sheffield may have interpreted as whatever it is he thought he saw.

Anyway, despite the fact that it is a somewhat poor baseball article, it is actually a pretty good read overall. The first half of the article is about his experience in Maine. I enjoyed it as a sociological story, a tale of disconnect between old money and new money, of the way different people see the world based on where they come from. It's also amazing how people can be so...disconnected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wrote a long comment, and apparently it didn't stick. It was as long as the prelude to the Torres part in the Preisler article. I sent it to my family and the local Maine man I am "hanging" out with these days. A New Yorker who grew up with the Yankees and has lived in Maine for 18 years, a halfsie, WASP mother and Jewish father. Looking for someone like Preisler's Wife, The Wife. Someone to defend me when I am at the party and am seen as an alien.

I love your writing and your comments at Alicublog. Thanks
leigh

ChrisV82 said...

Thanks for the kind words, Leigh. By the way, if the Tigers lose tonight, the Yankees will be in the top spot for the wild card. Not too shabby, huh?

ChrisV82 said...

By the way, next time you're at a party and someone asks you an uncomfortable question, just start mumbling jibberish and tell them you're speaking in tongues.