Monday, December 3, 2007

When is it okay to murder?

Here are some exceptions people list for murder:

* Death Penalty - the people on death row deserve it ("eye for eye")
* Self-defense - killing to protect yourself from death
* Soldiers in war - killing for legitimate reasons (defense of liberty, oil, etc.)
* Civilians in war - they were in the wrong place at the wrong time ("collateral damage")
* Vegetables on life support - they're brain dead and essentially not living
* Criminals running from police or posing a danger - cops usually give a warning, have to protect public
* Medical malpractice, car accidents, or sporting events - there was no "intent" to kill
* Abortion - the fetus in the first trimester is just a glob of cells and not human

I agree with some of those exceptions, not others. I'd be willing to wager that there are very few people who agree with all of those exceptions on that list. I'm not here to say who is right and who is wrong, except that I am right. It's not my place to reveal which I support at the moment, but I will leave you with a subtle clue as to one of them.

I wish I was a woman so that I could have an abortion right now.

No comments: