Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Fantasy Life 2008

I love fantasy baseball. I got into it late in my life, but I'm not looking back. Never! I field fantasy teams in all four of the major American sports (baseball, football, basketball and hockey), but I am most into fantasy baseball, as I actually know the sport pretty damn well. So well, in fact, that I mistakenly entertain notions that I could be a big league General Manager. I mean, I can't be worse than Sabean, right? Anyway, it's time for a new season, and the live draft was last week. It's a head to head league, and here's the statistical categories we use -

Offense: Runs, Hits, Home Runs, RBI, Stolen Bases, AVG, OBP, SLG
Pitching: Innings Pitched, Wins, Saves, Strikeouts, ERA, WHIP, K/BB

I like the mix of traditional stats and slightly more advanced stats (SLG, K/BB), as well as the mix of counting stats (like hits) and average stats (like OBP). Anyway, my draft position was 13th in a 14 team league. This is how my team looks entering the season:

Ca - Jorge Posada, NYY
1B - Ryan Howard, PHI
2B - Asdrubal Cabrera, CLE
3B - Chipper Jones, ATL
SS - Troy Tulowitzki, COL
OF - Alfonso Soriano, CHC
OF - Pat Burrell, PHI
OF - Josh Hamilton, TEX
DH - Kevin Youkilis, BOS
BN - Josh Willingham, FLA

SP - Chris Young, SDP
SP - Aaron Harang, CIN
SP - Tim Lincecum, SFG
SP - Shaun Marcum, TOR
SP - Greg Maddux, SDP
SP - Mark Buehrle, CHW
SP - Francisco Liriano, MIN
RP - Matt Capps, PIT
RP - Jason Isringhausen, STL
DL - Shawn Hill

It's a good thing I got to move Shawn Hill to the DL, because we only have 19 roster spots, and you may have noticed that I have 20 players. Yes, I forgot to draft a second baseman. The top second basemen were drafted very early, and I was not going to "overpay" for a mid-level pick, so I ended up forgetting to get one. Cabrera has a chance for a good year, though, so I can live with that.

A lot of people are down on Chipper Jones, but last year he ranked 7th overall in SLG and 7th in OBP while belting 29 homers with 102 RBI. Same deal with Pat Burrell. People kill him, but in the past three years all he's done is average 30 HR, 100 RBI, a 390 OBP and a 500 SLG%. If only we could all hit that way.

No comments: