Sunday, June 22, 2008

Iron Maiden Live in Camden June 17th, 2008





One of the best concerts I have ever seen was Iron Maiden performing during their Brave New World tour in 2000. It's easily in my top three, and may even be my favorite. Having neglected to see the band again since that time, I decided to purchase a ticket for their Somewhere Back in Time tour (you might even see me a few rows in front of the camera in the above video), promoting the DVD release of their 1985 concert video Live After Death. This time around, the band would be performing a majority of songs from Powerslave, with the rest filled out from other vintage albums like Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Although I'm a fan of their later albums, there's nothing like the classics.





I thought the band put on a great show. They were very energetic and sharp, and appeared to be on the same page the whole night. Comparing it to the last show eight years ago, I did think they lost a step, but that's what happens when you go from age 40 to 50. They're still in pretty good concert shape, especially Bruce, who may not have the same voice he had in 1985, but can still outsing (and outrun) any other singer in the genre.





I won't spend much time on the opening act, Lauren Harris, bassist Steve Harris' daughter. I'll just note that she reminded me of Hannah Montana with rock guitars (that kept playing the same riffs and solos each song). The highlight of her performance was these lyrics: "Can't you see / you're a part of me / count 1-2-3 / you're inside of me." She was totally inappropriate to open for Maiden.

Speaking of which, let's get back to them. They had a bit of a stage production, with a goat head devil for The Number of the Beast, a toilet paper mummy Eddie for Iron Maiden, "fog" and swaying lights for Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and a walking, giant cybernetic Eddie for The Clairvoyant. Some was cool, some was hokey, but all was in good fun.

If you like rock and you have a chance to see Iron Maiden in concert, I highly recommend it. They are a fantastic live band, one of the most influential acts of the metal genre and a legendary group.

2 comments:

psychodevil said...

How many men do you think Lauren Harris has slept with?

ChrisV82 said...

Including Eddie?