Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Another ABBA related post, John McCain style

I'm sure everyone has seen this by now, but I was travelling around, so I didn't have a chance to comment on it. And God damn it, I really want to say something. Obama and McCain('s campaign teams) release their top ten songs, and they're garbage. I mean, seriously, what the fuck? I'm going to even ignore ABBA appearing first and third on McCain's list...actually, I'm not. First of all, it's tacky to list the same band twice on your favorites list. Usually the idea of these lists is to provide a little diversity, not to say "I like every ABBA song especially Fernando!" Second, putting Dancing Queen as your number one song is only acceptable if you are putting together a joke list which also includes Lucky Star by Madonna and Only in my Dreams by Debbie Gibson. Third, McCain spends 5 1/2 years getting beaten and having diarrhea, and when he makes it back to the States he hears ABBA and goes, "this shit is fucking good." What?

Then the rest of his list...baffling, really. Streisand? Sinatra? We already know you're old. What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong? Is there a more irritating song in human existance?

As for Obama's, it's fairly blah. City of Blinding Lights by U2 is a more recent song of their's that I genuinely like, but that may be their least offensive song. The whole list is fairly uninspired. How about Fear of a Black Planet by Public Enemy? That would have shaken up some shit with voters.

I got to thinking about what my choices would be. Obviously if I was running for president, a) no one would ask me, and b) ... well, there's really no point to go beyond that. Nevertheless, I tried to make a list that reflects my tastes. I was going to toss in Bruce Springsteen's Streets of Philadelphia as a way to appeal to baby boomers and also make them uncomfortable with a song about dying from AIDS, but I don't really like the Boss or baby boomers enough to put Springsteen in my top ten.

1. In My Darkest Hour - Megadeth
2. Stargazer - Rainbow
3. Savage - Judas Priest
4. Patterns - Devo
5. Fake Healer - Metal Church
6. Powersurge - Overkill
7. World of Pain - Cream
8. Death or Glory - Holocaust
9. Death Squad - Sacred Reich
10. Restless & Wild - Accept

I'm presidential material, all right. Feel free to make fun of my picks, or share your own so I can mock your taste in music.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Sadly, my knowledge of popular music is not even up to the task of pouring scorn on your selection.

ChrisV82 said...

I usually find you you can just pick a band and say "Them? That's a laughable choice," and you don't really need to explain yourself. Who dares fight back in the face of laughter?