Sunday, September 7, 2008

When worlds collide

I've been a customer of the same comic book shop since 1995. Even though I now live about 200 miles away, I still order from them, and pay to have my merchandise shipped to me on a monthly basis. The cost of shipment could easily be eradicated if I simply purchased what I wanted closer to home, but so rare is it in this world where you can find genuinely sterling customer service and a quality commerce experience that I am opposed to change.

There was a time in the early 2000s when I was offered a job position, or rather, it was mentioned to me by the owner that they were seeking to hire a new employee. At the time, I was already in the middle of what was at that time my longest tenure of employment, and it was a good situation for me. Although I would have loved to work in the shop, and further immerse myself in my hobby while earning some bread for my efforts, I just couldn't do it.

It did occur to me, however, that working at the store would change the dynamic of the relationship I enjoyed with the people there, especially the owner (who remains owner to this day). Although the friendly comraderie would still be there, I would now be partly responsible for the success of the store, and the store would, in turn, be switching from place of leisure to place of work. Even if there was no severe change, it would still reflect an alteration in roles, in approach, and maybe even in enjoyment.

I reflect on this as I think about my current employment. I could think of better environments for myself, but I could scarcely think of better co-workers. Since none of them read or even know about this blog, I'm not fluffing anyone's knickers (is that a phrase? I hope so). I'm being genuine. I am blessed to have such a supportive and congenial group around me.

With that in mind, I have occassionally thought about what it would be like to break away and form my own business, in collaboration with some of my co-workers (presuming, of course, that they would want to do such a thing with me, especially since they have more years of experience than I). I like to think that we could form a savy and impressive unit. The problem is, our working dynamic would change. If we formed our own business, we're looking at the responsibilities of finances, drumming up clients, and all of the related expenses. There would be added pressure and different priorities. Whereas now we can chew the fat and go about our own ways, in a joint effort, we would then have the new facet of being responsible for each other's very livelihoods. That's not an easy thing to do, and it's bound to change relationships, maybe not drastically, but certaintly to an extent.

It is as I have always maintained from early on, at least going back to my high school days, that worlds should not collide. Family and friends and school/work should always be kept seperate and apart. As Egon noted in Ghostbusters, don't cross the streams. It's just like lending money to friends or family is a recipe for disaster. I do not always adhere to this; just last Christmas I merged friends/family and family/work, but it was for the holiday spirit. They both worked out, one less than the other, but they both worked out. That time. You can't always rely on that. Mixing worlds is a volatile situaiton, an accident waiting to happen.





(same song as above, in the eventuality that embedding is no longer allowed on the video, as I suspect it will be...this is for future generations, those who survive the downfall and the second dark ages)


P.S. - if this seemed more lucid than normal on my end, it's because I wrote this between 4 and 5 a.m. My sharpest work, my most romantic moments, and my greatest whimsies usually occur when I should be aslumber.

2 comments:

WindFish said...

> They both worked out, one less than the other, but they both worked out.

So I'm not invited back this year?

ChrisV82 said...

Oh no, you were fine. We are a very Jew friendly people.