Monday, October 20, 2008

Twenty-Five years ago

As an adult, lyrics to songs basically fall into the "cool," "funny" or "shitty" categories, with the occassional "meh." When you're in high school, however, lyrics have tremendous importance and consequence. Music speaks to the young folks. Girls had songs about romance, I had Twisted Sister.

In the year of our Lord Nineteen Eighty-Three, Twisted Sister released their second full length album, You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll. One of the fan favorite songs off the album was a little ditty called I Am (I'm Me), the most self-empowering song a teenager could ever rock out to.

I Am (I'm Me) (Top of the Top UK)



Besides the music, another appealing aspect of TS was the no bullshit personality of Dee Snider, the band's frontman. I remember listening to their live '82 show at the Marquee Club in London, and Dee spouting "if anyone laughs at you, you kick them in the fucking face." Sound advice.

The Kids Are Back plus Dee interview (Live Wire US)



Twisted Sister will never be considered one of the great metal bands of all time, although as musicians they were certainly better than they let themselves be. Nevertheless, their music really struck a chord with me (no pun intended) as a youth, and I will always cherish their body of work (at least the early stuff).

You Can't Stop Rock 'n' Roll promotional video



Twisted Sister's 2005 performance in Philadelphia remains one of my favorite concerts of all time. Easily in the top five, maybe in the top three. Sister had a reputation as a great live band, regardless of their recorded output, and that reputation was very well deserved.

3 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

So there really are Americans who like these British bands? I thought it was a myth created by Chris Guest and Spinal Tap.

Gchaime said...

Hey Chrisv82, or may i call you 'Der V-beastAchtundZweizig'?. I happen to be in the mood for some eighties metal, please remind me which albums i should buy. Preferably in a top 10 format.

ChrisV82 said...

GB - Americans love British stuff, except BBC programmes, which we insist on reinventing for American audiences.

(actually, Twisted Sister was a New York band that just happened to find success in England before breaking big in their own country)

Gchaime, My Hero - Do you own/have you listened to anything before? Would it be redundant for me to mention certain bands? Are looking at all styles or just straight up traditional 80s metal?