Wednesday, November 19, 2008

How much is a deserted island worth?

Amazon dot com is having a big sale on DVDs, including Gilligan's Island. You can get individual seasons for thirteen dollars American, or you can go all out and get the whole series for $35.99 (normally retails for $114.82).

I was very interested in picking up the DVD, but then I was mulling over whether I really wanted 98 episodes of Gilligan's Island. Probably 10 episodes would be enough. After all, how many times do I need to see the Professor create a device just to have Gilligan ruin the escape? You'd think they would tie him to a tree and tell him they'll send someone to pick him up. Or really, just bash his skull in with a coconut. It's not like he was ever useful.

I guess Mary Anne wasn't all that useful, either, but she was a babe and she probably kept the Professor warm on those cold, lonely nights. For a farm girl, she was able to remember to bring an extensive change of tantalizing clothes. As has been discussed by many people before me, it is very odd that the island's guests brought so much clothing for a three hour tour. The only people who didn't, really, were the Professor, Gilligan, and the Skipper. You'd think the latter two would at least have a change of shirts, considering they probably worked 12 hour days on that boat. Well, let's be honest, they probably lived on that boat with their few meager possesions. Even on a deserted island, they were still forced to bunk together and do the heavy labor. Apparently the class system exists even away from civilization.

Maybe I'll get the two seasons of F-Troop instead, because I'm also a little disappointed that the Gilligan DVD set doesn't include the TV movies, such as The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island. That's about as interesting a combination as Scooby Doo and Batman. It's a disappointing omission.

2 comments:

Sweet Cheeks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChrisV82 said...

I don't remember the band.

I wager the success of Gilligan's Island had to do with a charming cast that left before they wore out their welcome. Season 12 of Gilligan's Island would have become a little tiring, I imagine.