Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A controversy 35 years beyond relevancy

T Rex recorded and published Get it On (Bang a Gong) in the summer of 1971. Here they are performing it in 1973:



The Rolling Stones recorded in '73 and released in '74 It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It). Here they are live in '76:



The guitar work during the verses of both songs sound very similar to me. Too similar. Not saying the Stones ripped of T Rex, but it's worth pointing out. To me, anyway.

While I'm here, let me say that KISS was a monumental disappointment. They had such a great image, but so many of their songs were terrible. I won't even get into the ridiculous merchandising. Here's one of their better tunes, from 1977, filmed in Japan:

5 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It's amazing how poorly the live T-Rex version compares with what they recorded. What's all that with the black women singing the 'Get in On' chorus? And the famous guitar riff is barely noticeable.

psychodevil said...

I always thought KISS sucked and that bass intro was terrible.

Jai said...

I don't think I can get behind the idea of letting the tambourines overpower the drums.

ChrisV82 said...

GB - Yeah, it sounds like a mess. I've noticed a trend (and by trend I mean one that's been going on for 30 or 40 years) of white bands having black singers join them on stage. The result is always terrible.

Devil - Yeah, and the drum solo was weak, too. At least there was blood.

Jai - Tambourine is the most powerful of all hand percussion instruments.

Chuckling said...

Yea, Kiss's recorded music sucks but they'll always have a place in my heart. I saw them at least six times, probably eight or nine, when I was a kid because they opened for every big name band that came through my little corner of bumfuck (you don't even wanna know how many times I've seen Ted Nugent or REO Speedwagon). Kiss was an entertaining live show for high school kids. Not in the same class as Alice Cooper, but entertaining nevertheless.