Sunday, March 13, 2011

How TV Ruined Your Life

This weekend, I have to move the clock an hour forward for Daylight Saving Time, one of life's many irritants. To be perfectly frank, I'd rather have the extra hour of daylight in the winter. I hate that it's dark at 5 o'clock in December, and I don't really need to still see the sun at 9 o'clock in June. I want the evening to be dark, it makes drinking easier. So thanks for nothing, George Vernon Hudson, you creepy insect collecting bastard (he invented DST in 1895).

Nevertheless, we're stuck with this, and if you don't comply, you won't be on time for work. Perhaps even worse, though, you won't be on time to watch your favorite television programs like "Dancing With The People You Vaguely Remember From Something" and "Kooky Couple Do Things Accompanied By Laugh Track." I always wonder, though, how TV programmers handle this move. Do they just make sure some show or movie is airing during the switch, and then proceed as if nothing happened, or do they make sure the programming has wrapped up at 2 a.m., and then just skip an hour? Do they pretend it didn't exist, like some backwards communist country where friends and neighbors are taken away by the secret police? What about in the autumn when you have to relive the same hour twice, like an abbreviated Bill Murray film? If I was watching something on recordable television and went to rewind once the clocks jump forward, would I create a time paradox?

While you ponder these things, you should watch episode one from series one of a "programme" called "How TV Ruined Your Life."


2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

You watch a lot of British TV! Nick Ross was called "Nick Toss" by the comedian Harry Enfield after some neighbourly dispute. The Yellowstone volcano worries me, you need to dowse that frigging thing.

ChrisV82 said...

Well, good TV is good TV, and it's all the better when I can understand the language.