Friday, April 15, 2011

Accept the differences

My friends, we have been apart too long, nearly a month. Even my Twitter account has been mostly dormant. Life has kept me busy, but not always fulfilled. Fortunately, I was able to catch two concerts this month, and I love me some music.

Regular readers (hello to my followers at Rockview State Correctional Institution) may be surprised, but I went to an all acoustic show last week. It was delectable, and featured Paul Dempsey opening up for Colin "Men at Work" Hay.

Dempsey was a surprise but a treat, with a gorgeous voice (except when he tried to do falsetto) and pleasant guitar skills. I enjoyed his acoustic version of Ramona Was a Waitress (video not from the show):



Everyone was there for Hay, who has a unique voice and a remarkable sense of humor. Here's a song from the show I was at, although I note I had much better seats:



Hay performed at the Keswick Theater, which is an old performing arts venue outside Philadelphia. It's cramped and designed for people under 5'5", which made it uncomfortable, but the evening was fun nevertheless. I could see myself buying some of Hay's albums, but I am hesitant to say it would probably be to help me relax when I go to sleep.

Much more exciting, though, was my trip to the Trocadero, another run down theater right on the bubble of Chinatown in Philadelphia. Performing live were none other than the German metal legends Accept, with new host what's-his-face from the band T.T. Quick. He has that same gravelly voice as Udo Dirkschneider, so it was a reasonable facsimile.

Accept is like comfort food in music form, the vast, overwhelming majority of their set was classics from the 80s, including gems like "Fast as a Shark" (not from the show):



I wrecked my neck. The audience was small, even by the Trocadero standards, but it was a lively, loud and vivacious audience, which made it good. Wolf and Peter were at the top of their game. It was a thunderous good show.

A few bands opened for Accept, but what caught my ear was Swedish power metallers
Sabaton. Although they've been around for a decade, I was not familiar with them. However, as I told their bassist Pär Sundström after the show, I became a fan. He said, "Oh, yunk you, das oost why ve do ze shows!" No, he didn't sound like that, although I am paraphrasing what he said. It was basically that. I mean, he also had a funny accent, but charming, in the Swedish way.

It was their first time touring the United States, which is nice. They seem a little obsessed with World War 2, and did at least three songs about the war, including a song honoring the Polish resistance and a tribute to the American troops that landed in Normandy. Their singer, Joakim Brodén, said that if it wasn't for the U.S., they'd be speaking German now. The woman next to me turned and said, "Yeah, so would we." Whatever, I can barely speak English.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Hmm. The singer in the third video sounded like he had a frog in his throat. What do you think of The Asteroids Galaxy Tour, whose song is in the latest Heineken commercial?

Chris said...

I like the group, but not the song in that commercial. I enjoy the jazzy rock-pop with a hint of 70s, but just not that track.

While we're discussing Europop(rock), I've grown pretty fond of A Silent Film (England still counts as Europe, right?). They remind me of the Killers, and you know I like that throwback 80s vibe. There is even some U2 flavor, back when U2 was worth hearing.