Monday, May 9, 2011

Bad Sandwich



Growing up, Weird Al Yankovic was my favorite musician. Unlike most people, I was not particularly interested in music growing up. I listened to the radio and had a few LPs, usually children oriented (presumably some chipmunk travesty). I also remember my first CD, which I got in 1993. It was Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. After that, though, it was a string of Weird Al albums. At that point in my life, I was more interested in humor than music.

When Weird Al does well, he really nails it. In some instances, I prefer the reworking better than the original. Sometimes, though, Weird Al just missed the mark.

There was some controversy regarding Yankovic's cover of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," in that Lady Gaga initially did not approve. Weird Al essentially requires that the artists approve his work, which helps assure that it will never be satirical. In fact, Yankovic's parody of Gaga's song is essentially a tribute, neither funny nor clever, just a lazy description of what Lady Gaga does.

I though I could take ten minutes and do a better song, so I gave it a go with "Bad Romance":

I want pastrami
I want cheddar cheese
I want American
And maybe some brie
and pimento loaf
(Loaf loaf loaf pimento loaf)

I want gorgonzola
A slice of some ham
I want your olive-studded meat made with spam
I want your loaf
Loaf loaf loaf
I want your loaf

You know that I want it
And you know that I need it
I want it bad, your bad sandwich


I had to stop for two reasons. One, I was basically rewriting "Eat It" and "The Rye or the Kaiser." Two, the lyrics to the original song are terrible. There's nothing to parody because there are hardly any words, and they repeat ad nauseam.

Maybe it is hard to parody a Lady Gaga song. Maybe Weird Al gave it his best shot. If your best doesn't cut it, though, then it's time to say no.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Not having heard the original, I'm in no position to comment on its merits as a parody. I do know that Lady Gaga is a touchy filly, because she has threatened to sue the makers of human milk ice-cream for calling their product "Baby Gaga".

WindFish said...

I'm very fond of "Stuck in a Closet With Vanna White" myself.